You're reading: Belarus accuses Russia of going back on oil price deal

Minsk, January 14 (Interfax) - Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko sent a letter to his Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev on Jan. 14, setting out Belarus' position on the issue of the price for Russian oil exports to be exported to Belarus this year, the Belarusian president's press service said.

"As is well known, talks began between Belarus and the Russian Federation late last year on terms for oil supplies. They have proved fruitless," the press service said.

"At a meeting of the Supreme State Council of the Union State of Belarus and Russia on Dec. 10, 2009, the presidents of the two countries reached an agreement that oil to be supplied to Belarus for the first two or three months of 2010 would be duty-free and that meanwhile the two sides would agree terms for further oil supplies," the service said.

"However, subsequently the Russian Federation in effect went back on this agreement and put forward terms that were unacceptable to Belarus," it said.

This was the reason for Lukashenko’s letter of Wednesday, the service said.