The Basmanny Court of Moscow has reissued the arrest warrant for three men accused of killing the opposition politician Boris Nemtsov to keep them in custody until April 28.
The last of the three is Shadid Gubashev, according to a ruling read out by judge Valentina Levashova on April 6 after hearing an investigators’ request to remand him into custody, an Interfax correspondent reported.
Earlier on Monday the court ruled that two other suspects in the case, Khamzat Bakhayev and Temerlan Eskerkanov, be remanded in custody until April 28.
The defense lawyers of all three are set to appeal the court order.
Earlier Moscow City Court had sent case files for a re-trial of the suspect who along with other case suspects, Tamerlan Eskerkhanov and Shadid Gubashov, was remanded into custody at a Basmanny Court hearing on March 8, which, according to the appellate court, breached their right to counsel.
Also remanded into custody at the same day were Zaur Dadayev, the suspected perpetrator of the killing, and Anzor Gubashev after the Moscow City Court upheld their arrests.
All suspects were indicted “on conspiracy to murder or commit contract killing” and of illegal acquisition and possession of a firearm.
Four of the five suspects have denied their involvement in Nemtsov’s murder; Dadayev has made a confession, according to the court order.
The confession, and the fact that Dadayev has cooperated with the inquiry, allows one to speak about all five being involved in the crime, an investigator said. Meanwhile, Dadayev himself has strenuously denied such cooperation and claims he was abducted on March 5 and ended up at the Investigative Committee only on March 7, and that his testimony was obtained under coercion.
Nemtsov was killed in central Moscow not far from the Kremlin on the night of February 27. Five people have been arrested. A source in law enforcement authorities told Interfax earlier that preliminary data point to Dadayev, a former deputy commander of the Chechen North Battalion, as the perpetrator of the crime.