You're reading: German foreign minister welcomes start of talks on settlement of situation in east Ukraine

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier has described as a positive signal the beginning of discussions between the parties to the conflict in Ukraine on the settlement of the situation.

“In the current situation we cannot lose any chance and [must seize] every opportunity,” he told reporters in Kyiv on June 24 after talks with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko.

He said it was important that the sides hold a dialogue in this situation.

“The talk about under what conditions a truce might occur, under what conditions the rebels could lay down their arms and under what conditions they would agree to the possible extension of the OSCE observer mission is a big step forward,” Steinmeier said.

He noted that this success had been achieved in recent days thanks to the efforts of the Ukrainian authorities, as well as second Ukrainian President Leonid Kuchma, Russian Ambassador Mikhail Zurabov and OSCE Special Envoy Heidi Tagliavini.

“Now we have to see how realistic the prospects of the OSCE mission’s work in Ukraine with an extended mandate are, as well as how the case will move forward after the announcement of the peace plan by [Ukrainian President Petro] Poroshenko, and after a truce and ceasefire is reached,” he said.