You're reading: Cabinet denies receiving official refusal from Yushchenko to appoint Pustovoitenko Kyiv regional governor

The Cabinet of Ministers has not received official refusal from President Viktor Yuschenko to appoint former prime minister Valerii Pustovoitenko to the post of the head of the Kyiv regional state administration.

Minister of the Cabinet of Ministers Petro Krupko told this to Ukrainian News.

“I know only from media reports so far that the president said he would not support the candidacy [of Pustovoitenko]. Meanwhile, the documents have not been returned to the Secretariat of the Cabinet of Ministers,” Krupko said.

Minister of the Cabinet of Ministers Krupko said the government is not likely to propose Valerii Pustovoitenko for the post again if the candidacy is officially rejected by the president.

He said the government would propose another candidacy for the post. Krupko said the Cabinet of Ministers did not consider the question at its meeting on Wednesday.

As Ukrainian News earlier reported, President Viktor Yuschenko on May 26 told the press he would not appoint Pustovoitenko the head of the Kyiv regional state administration for legal reasons.

On May 20, the Cabinet of Ministers urged Yuschenko to dismiss Vira Ulianchenko as the head of the regional state administration after her appointment the head of the Secretariat of the President and to appoint Pustovoitenko the regional governor.