Moscow, August 29 (Interfax) - Moscow officials have not authorized a "rally of dissent," set for August 31, organizers said on Friday.
“Organizers of the rally received a letter from the Moscow government earlier today, denying the request for permission to hold the rally on Triumfalnaya Square,” Alexander Averin, a member of the executive committee of the Other Russia opposition movement, said in a press release.
The Moscow government cited “a public event on Triumfalnaya Square, of which the Prefecture of the Central Administrative District has been notified already” as the reason for the denial, he said.
“In earlier denials, the authorities cited a massive cultural event, organized by the Tverskaya prefecture, and, a month ago, a sports festivals, also organized by the Tverskaya prefecture,” the press release says.
The organizers, nevertheless, have decided to hold the “rally of dissent” on August 31, “defying all illegal bans,” Averin said.
“Although the Moscow government has proposed an alternative venue for a 250-member rally near the monument to Griboyedov, the reason for the denial is far fetched. They even failed to sort out whether a picket or a festival will be held on Triumfalnaya Square this time,” he said
The previous “rally of dissent” took place on July 31. All rallies of dissent are held in defense of Article 31 of the Constitution, which says that citizens have the right to hold peaceful and unarmed assemblies, rallies, demonstrations, marches and pickets.
“Within the framework of the campaign, the decision was made to gather on Triumfalnaya Square for rallies of dissent at 6 p.m. on the 31st day of each month, whether or not permitted, but with the observance of the formality of filing a notification,” the press release says.
The organizers plan to stage rallies on October and December 31, in Moscow.
No commentaries from the Moscow authorities on these claims are available so far.