You're reading: Ukrainian army development program failed in terms of its financing

Kyiv (Interfax-Ukraine) – Ukrainian Defense Minister Yuriy Yekhanurov has said that the state program for the development of the Ukrainian Armed Forces for 2006-2011 has failed in terms of its financing.

He announced this during his visit to Kharkiv, the press service of the Defense Ministry reported on Monday.

“The state program for the development of the Ukrainian Armed Forces for 2006-2011 has failed in terns of its financing. Thus, we need to amend it,” Yekhanurov said.

He said that the implementation of an action plan to switch the Ukrainian army to a contractual basis for 2008-2010 had been financed only at a level of 25%. Yekhanurov said that this plan should be revised as well.

He said that new strategies would be offered following a respective discussion at the Defense Ministry, the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, and the National Security and Defense Council.

Yekhanurov said that the question of setting the future strength of the Ukrainian army remains undecided.