The scandal with the resignation of Poland’s Sports Minister Miroslaw Drzewiecki won’t affect Ukraine’s cooperation with Poland in the preparations for co-hosting the Euro 2012 European Championship, Ukrainian Vice-Premier Ivan Vasiunyk and Youth and Sports Minister Yuriy Pavlenko have said.
“The Polish system of governing, the democratic system, has strong
preventive mechanisms allowing them to avert various unlawful
activities. There is a fact [of accusations], and it should be taken as
a fact. I want to assure you I think this won’t affect Poland’s
preparations for the Euro 2012,” Vasiunyk told reporters in Kyiv on
Tuesday.
Pavlenko, in turn, expressed opinion that Drzewiecki will be able to refute the accusations.
On October 5, Poland’s Prime Minister Donald Tusk accepted
Drzewiecki’s resignation, after Rzeczpospolita newspaper last week
published transcripts of telephone conversations in which a gambling
parlor owner is allegedly mentioned Drzewiecki as someone who could
help influence a new gambling law.
Drzewiecki said at a press conference that he had done nothing wrong
but that he had step down to prevent the scandal harming the Euro 2012
football championship that Poland is due to co-host with Ukraine.