You're reading: Violent takeover of Kherson Oblast cognac factory attempted

Shots were fired late Sept. 3 during a attempted takeover of the Tavriya Cognac factory in Novaya Khakhovka, Kherson Oblast, the news agency Interfax-Ukraine reported on Sept. 3.

The factory’s deputy director Lyudmilla Nadtochiy told the agency that a number of people were wounded in the altercation.

“About 150 men wearing camoflauge uniforms arrived on three buses.
They broke through the factory gate and entered the factory grounds.
They had helmets, kneepads and handcuffs and attempted to take over the
factory. They fired weapons and used tear gas. There are wounded,”
Nadtochiy said.

Interior Ministry spokeswoman Inna Kisel said that Interior
Minister Yuri Lutsenko had taken charge of the police response to the
incident at the factory.

“He has taken control of the
situation at the factory,” said Kisel, adding that Lutsenko had already
spoken with the mayor and deputies from the Kherson Regional Council.
“His position is as follows: no one is allowed to enter factory grounds
without police. Measures will be taken against all those who broke the
law.”

Kisel added that police from Nova Khokhovka had taken control of the situation.

“Around
150 men who attacked the factory have been encircled by city police and
Berkut elite police,” said Kisel, adding that the number of wounded was
still being counted.

Interfax-Ukraine said an eye-witness confirmed that at 2300 (2000 gmt) police had encircled the interlopers.