You're reading: Watchdog says broken turbine blade, generator gyration not causes of Sayano-Shushenskaya HPP accident

The Federal Environmental, Technological and Atomic Oversight Service (Rostekhnadzor) has rejected several theories aired earlier about the causes behind last week's accident at the Sayano-Shushenskaya Hydroelectric Power Plant.

Rostekhnadzor chief Nikolai Kutin said at a press conference on
Tuesday that the theory of a terrorist attack was eliminated before
anything else. An inspection of the second power generating unit was
sufficient to make this determination, he said.

Everything that happened at the plant was the result of an overload of the second power generating unit.

Kutin also denied the theory of a hydraulic impact. No damage was
found to the turbine blades on the second unit, he said. In addition, a
previous theory that excessive gyrations of the power unit could have
led to the destruction of the generating hall “was not confirmed,” he
said.

Rostekhnadzor is trying to create a mathematic model to determine
how the turbine was functioning at the moment the accident occurred, he
said.