You're reading: US hopes conflicting parties will fulfill Minsk agreements on ceasefire in east Ukraine

Washington - The U.S. authorities hope that the parties to the conflict in eastern Ukraine will comply with the protocol on a ceasefire, which was signed in Minsk on Sept. 5, U.S. State Department spokesperson Marie Harf has said.

“Yesterday’s announcement to implement the full ceasefire is obviously a new opportunity for Russia, for the separatists, to live up to their commitments, which they haven’t done so far, and we hope they will do so,” she said at a briefing on Tuesday, Dec. 2.

She said that Russian military forces still operated in eastern Ukraine, playing a coordinating role, providing command and control support to militants.

As reported, another agreement on a ceasefire at the Donetsk airport was reached at negotiations between Ukrainian military and militants on Tuesday. According to the agreement, the ceasefire was to come into effect at 5 p.m. Kyiv time on Dec. 1.