You're reading: Bomb blast kills 10 in Pakistan tribal region

A roadside bomb killed 10 people and wounded four in a Pakistani tribal region on the Afghan border on Thursday, a government official said, as militants linked to al Qaeda launch a new wave of attacks.

The explosion happened in Palaseen village, about 65 km (40 miles) northeast of the Kurram region’s main town, Parachinar.

"It was a remote-controlled bomb, which was detonated as soon as a passenger van got there," said Hamid Khan, deputy administrator of the region. All those killed were civilians. About 150 people have been killed in the last week as militants have renewed their attacks, ending a brief lull in violence amid the worst flooding in the country’s history.The Pakistani Taliban have threatened to carry out more suicide attacks on government targets in response to U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan’s lawless regions in the northwest. In the last 24 hours, four drone attacks have killed 19 militants.There was no independent confirmation and militants often dispute government accounts. Separately, a suicide bomber detonated himself inside the house of a government minister in the Pakistan’s southwestern city of Quetta on Thursday, killing three people, police said.

"Initially, it seemed it was a planted bomb but now it’s been established that it was suicide attack and the bomber blew himself up when he was stopped from entering the guest room," senior police officer Hamid Shakeel said.

He said six people were also wounded in the attack while Baluchistan’s finance minister, Asim Kurd, was not hurt.
Baluchistan, the country’s largest but least populated province, has for decades been home to a low-level insurgency by nationalists demanding more autonomy and a bigger share of income from the province’s natural resources.