You're reading: Cyprus releases Sudan-bound ship as cargo cleared

NICOSIA, June 25 (Reuters) - Cyprus released on Friday a ship carrying explosives and military material to Sudan and Singapore, saying it was satisfied the cargo did not breach a weapons ban on Sudan's Darfur region.

The Antigua and Barbuda-flagged vessel, the Santiago, had been prevented from leaving Cypriot waters since June 11, when it anchored off the island requesting refuelling.

The vessel had explosives on board destined for Sudan, and military equipment going to Singapore, authorities said.

"We have issued an export licence for the military equipment to Singapore, and we will permit the export of explosives, which are on the same ship, for Sudan," trade minister Antonis Paschalides said.

Sudan’s government said the explosives were for mining purposes.

"It has been verified by all relevant authorities that (the explosives) do not belong to the category of those for which an export licence is required," Paschalides said.

Although the Santiago had passed through at least two EU ports, Cyprus prevented the ship from sailing while it checked whether the cargo contravened a U.N. arms embargo on combatants in Sudan’s Darfur region.

Sudan’s government said the explosives were intended for quarry face blasting and mining, and said suggestions it was a weapons shipment were "nonsense".