LONDON, July 6 (Reuters) - Britain will hold an inquiry into allegations that its security services knew about the torture of terrorism suspects on foreign soil, Prime Minister David Cameron said on Tuesday.
Several Britons of Pakistani descent say they were abused in custody in Pakistan with British complicity. British authorities say they would never use, or encourage others to use, torture to gain information.
"While there is no evidence that any British officer was directly engaged in the aftermath of 9/11, there are questions over the degree to which British officers were working with foreign security services who were treating detainees in ways they should not have," Cameron told parliament.
"We all believe it is time to clear up this matter once and for all."
An independent inquiry, led by a judge, will begin once related criminal investigations and civil law suits have been dealt with, Cameron said.
"We hope it will start before the end of this year and will report within a year," he said.
Cameron said about 12 cases had been brought before British courts and said the government would mediate with, and potentially compensate, anyone who had made civil claims about their detention in the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
The inquiry, which will not be held entirely in public, will be led by Commissioner for the Intelligence Services and former appeal court judge Sir Peter Gibson.
Intelligence material and any testimony by security service officers given to the inquiry will remain secret, Cameron said.
"I am confident the inquiry will reach an authoritative view on the actions of the state and our services — and proper recommendations for the future," he said.
Cameron outlined the current guidance given to security staff on dealing with detainees held overseas.
It showed that if there may be information needed to save lives but also a serious risk of mistreatment, it was for government ministers to decide what action should be taken.