You're reading: Guinea election leader secures backing for run-off

CONAKRY, July 28 (Reuters) - The candidate who came out on top in the first round of Guinea's presidential election, Cellou Dallein Diallo, has won the backing of third-placed Sidya Toure for the run-off, sources in Toure's party said on Wednesday.

Toure became a possible king-maker after he secured 13.62 percent of the vote in the first round in June behind Diallo, who won 43.69 percent, and second-placed Alpha Conde. No date has been set yet for the run-off between the top two candidates.

The elections are meant to pave the way for a return to civilian rule in the world’s top exporter of the aluminium ore bauxite, which has been gripped by political uncertainty since a coup in late 2008.

Sources in Toure’s UFR party said that should Diallo win, the party had been promised the post of prime minister and 30 percent of cabinet jobs in return for its support.

"All the details have been agreed upon. The signing of the official agreement will take place at five pm (1700 GMT)," a party source told Reuters, asking not to be named.

Three other UFR sources also confirmed the information.

Results from the first round showed how ethnic allegiance swayed voters more than policy choice, with Diallo and Conde taking votes from their own large ethnic groups — Peul and Malinke respectively.

Toure’s Diakhante minority makes up just one percent of the population.

But Diallo’s first-round score marks him out as a strong favourite for the run-off, with veteran opposition leader Conde facing an uphill battle to mobilise enough votes against him.