PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) — South Africa's police chief said on Tuesday a British tabloid journalist has been arrested after it was discovered that the incident in which an England fan entered the team's changing room was an "orchestrated" attempt to undermine World Cup security.
National police commissioner Bheki Cele said police arrested Simon Wright on Monday. He said the Sunday Mirror journalist admitted to harboring and interviewing Pavlos Joseph while police were searching for him.
At a security briefing in South African capital Pretoria, Cele said Wright had allegedly booked hotel accommodation for Joseph using false details.
Wright also had a contract with Joseph for exclusive interviews for seven days "after he made news," according to South Africa’s most senior policeman.
"Police have reason to believe that this incident was orchestrated and involved the co-operation of a number of individuals," Cele said.
Cele added that police expected to make more arrests in the case.
"Police strongly believe the motive was to put World Cup security in a bad light and possibly to profit from this act," Cele said of the June 18 incident, in which Joseph entered the dressing room after England drew 0-0 with Algeria at Cape Town’s Green Point Stadium.
Joseph gave an exclusive interview to the Sunday Mirror afterward, claiming he was directed to the England dressing room when he asked a security guard where he could find a toilet.
"Do we believe that it was orchestrated by this journalist for Mr. Joseph? Yes, we do," Cele said.
Cele would not say if charges would be brought against the newspaper, but confirmed that Wright had been arrested on Monday night for "defeating the ends of justice" and "flouting the provisions of the Immigration Act."