ROME, July 7 (Reuters) - Silvio Berlusconi on Wednesday sought to head off opposition to Italy's austerity budget, saying he would meet regional chiefs protesting their reduced funding but the overall size of the cuts was "untouchable".
The budget aims to cut the public deficit by some 25 billion euros, bringing it below 3 percent of gross domestic product in 2012 from 5.3 percent last year, partly through hefty cuts in funding to regional governments.
In a joint statement with Economy Minister Giulio Tremonti, Berlusconi said they would meet with regional governors to discuss the budget on Friday, but stressed there was no question of easing their contribution toward fixing public finances.
"The budget’s numbers are and will remain untouchable," the statement said, adding that the European Commission and financial markets considered them "absolutely necessary to reduce the rising trend of our public debt."
Berlusconi, whose popularity has fallen significantly since the draft budget was presented in May, is widely reported to be annoyed at Tremonti’s intransigence over the measures, but the two men put on a united front on Wednesday.
The statement said the 13 billion euro reduction in regional funding over three years amounted to just 3 percent of their overall budget, and argued that central government had already undergone similar cuts.
Health spending, which is the responsibility of the regions and is out of control "in a large part of the country" is an obvious area where savings could be made, the ministers said.
The budget still needs to be approved by parliament and Berlusconi has announced he will hold confidence votes in his government over the package in both houses to hasten its approval.
In the unlikely event that he lost either vote he would be forced to resign.