BEIRUT, May 25 (Reuters) - Lebanon's Hezbollah chief Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said on Tuesday, May 25, the Shi'ite guerrilla group would attack all military, civilian and commercial ships heading towards Israel's Mediterranean ports in any future war.
"If you (Israel) put our coasts under siege in any future war, I say all military, civilian and commercial ships heading to Palestine’s coasts on the Mediterranean will be under the fire of the Islamic resistance fighters," he said via a video-link in a ceremony marking the 10th anniversary of Israel’s withdrawal from south Lebanon.
Earlier this year Nasrallah threatened to hit Israel’s Ben Gurion airport if the Jewish state struck Beirut’s international airport in any future conflict.
"(As for)those ships which will go to any port on the Palestinian coast from north to the south, (I say) we are capable of hitting it and are determined to go into this..if they besiege our coasts," he said.
"When the world will witness how these ships will be destroyed in Palestine’s regional water nobody will dare to go there just as they will block (others) from coming to our coasts," he told thousands of supporters.
Nasrallah’s comments come amid a five-day drill in Israel- dubbed "Turning Point 4"- which was launched on Sunday to test the Jewish state’s preparedness against possible missile strikes from the Gaza Strip and by Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Hezbollah fought against Israel in a 34-day war in 2006 after the group captured two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border raid. Some 1,200 people in Lebanon, mostly civilians, were killed and 160 Israelis, mostly soldiers, died.