You're reading: Update: One child dead, 4 injured in eastern Turkey blast

DIYARBAKIR, Turkey, May 25 (Reuters) - One child was killed and four were injured in a blast as they played with explosives they had found near a barracks in southeastern Turkey, a local official told Reuters on Tuesday, May 25.

Ozalp district mayor Murat Durmaz said the explosion occurred just outside a firing range in the province of Van, near the border with Iran.

State-run Anatolian news agency said four children had been injured and were taken to nearby hospitals.

Southeast Turkey is the scene of a conflict between state security forces and the separatist Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) guerrilla group.

Improvised explosive devices are commonly used by the PKK against the armed forces. A large number of mines have also been laid by the armed forces in the region.
More than 40,000 people have been killed in the fighting since the PKK took up arms against the state in 1984.