CHISINAU – Moldova diagnosed another 374 people with COVID-19 on June 18, bringing the overall number of coronavirus cases nationwide to over 13,000, Constantin Rimis, secretary general of the Moldovan Health, Labor, and Social Protection Ministry, said at a news briefing on June 18 evening.
“We have processed 1,769 tests today, including 1,337 primary tests. The result was 374 positive tests. Hence, the general number of COVID-19 cases registered in our country has reached 13,106, of which 7,252 people have recovered. Unfortunately, another eleven people have died in the past 24 hours. The number of fatalities has reached 444,” Rimis said.
“The number of active cases is currently 5,410,” and Moldova “has conducted 79,777 tests since the start of the testing,” Rimis said.
Another 26 medical workers tested positive for COVID-19 on June 18, bringing the total number of infections among healthcare professionals to 2,051, he said.
Prime Minister Ion Chicu said on Monday that the country was seeing a second wave of the coronavirus epidemic.
Chicu had ordered last week that police deploy all of their personnel in the streets to tighten control over the observance of sanitary-epidemiological requirements. President Igor Dodon signed a decree on June 13 allowing military service members to be engaged in patrolling streets.
At the same time, Moldova has ended a state of emergency and lifted nearly all restrictions on economic activities, i.e. opened all markets, shopping malls, and fitness centers. Moldova has also resumed flights to and from some foreign countries and reopened hotels, cafes, and restaurants.
Public-sector employees normally working in two shifts have been told to work two weeks in the office and another two weeks from home.