CHISINAU – Seven people with COVID-19 have died in Moldova over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of COVID-19-associated fatalities nationwide to 501, the Health, Labor, and Social Protection Ministry said on June 25.
“As many as 1,838 tests have been processed today, including 1,456 primary tests. The result was 375 positive tests. Hence, the general number of COVID-19 cases registered in our country has reached 15,453. The number of active coronavirus cases is currently 5,352,” it said.
Thirty of those diagnosed with COVID-19 on June 25 work in the healthcare system, including five doctors. The general number of infected healthcare professionals has reached 2,097, and 29 of them have died.
As many as 199 patients diagnosed earlier with the new coronavirus infection have recovered and have been discharged from the hospital; the total number of patients who have recovered from COVID-19 nationwide has reached 8,599, it said.
Prime Minister Ion Chicu said last week that the country was seeing a second wave of the coronavirus epidemic and expected the number of coronavirus cases recorded daily to double to 500-600.
The Moldovan government decided on June 25 to extend a state of emergency in the public health sector until July 15 because of the coronavirus pandemic.