Ambassador of Ukraine in Lebanon Ihor Ostash confirmed the information that there are no Ukrainian citizens among the Beirut blast victims.
“There are some families in which property, houses, apartments were damaged. There are also minor injuries, cuts, bruises [in citizens of Ukraine], but there are no serious victims yet. So far, we are talking about assistance in the restoration of houses or apartments. There are no problems associated with the threat to life for Ukrainians,” Ostash said on the air of the Ukraine 24 television channel on August 5.
He also said that the embassy is trying to find out the information about allegedly two Ukrainian ships that were in the area of the explosions. The ambassador said that so far there is information that a UN ship has been seriously damaged, and with regard to Ukrainian citizens, Ukrainian sailors, there is no such information.
The diplomat also said that the embassy’s contacts are on the diplomatic mission’s website. “All our phone numbers are on the embassy website.” Just enter the ‘Ukrainian Embassy in Lebanon’ you will immediately see all the hotline phones,” Ostash said.
As reported, at least 100 people were killed and more than 4,000 injured as a result of the explosions that rocked Beirut post on August 4.
President of Lebanon Michel Aoun said that the explosions were caused by 2,750 tonnes of confiscated ammonium nitrate that was stored at a port warehouse.